Sunday, December 19, 2021

About DAK Attack


RULES FOR PLAYING LONG RANGE DESERT GROUP (LRDG) WARGAMES
My name is Brendan Wheatley and this blog is about my DAK ATTACK rules
                              
The rules are for solo and multi-player wargaming with the Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) in North Africa during WWII.

The rules and models required are all available from:
Offensive Miniatures www.offensive miniatures.com and you can read their post here and SHQ miniatures www.shqltd.com.
or to contact me       dakattackgame@gmail.com
There is a Q@A section for the rules on this blog and I am more than happy to help in any way that I can.

[Image: Raid on a small airfield]

The rules were conceived as a solo game with the player in control of the LRDG. The games represent raids against Axis targets which can be played as quick “one off games” or by using the “mission cards provided” be combined into a campaign. Each of the 30 mission cards represents a days journey. The player can choose any number of days (cards) he wants his campaign to last. The cards contain many of the incidents an LRDG patrol could encounter on their way back to base from their primary mission. These include raids (beat ups) on Axis bases, encountering Axis patrols, attacks by enemy aircraft and even vehicle break downs. Not all of the cards are bad some in fact are good. There is a second set of cards representing the enemy by following the rules for each incident you will not know how strong or where the enemy are until the fighting begins. As already mentioned the game was conceived as a solo game but this does not prevent multi player games where players are allocated their own LRDG vehicles to control. I have also included rules for someone to be the Axis player. The choice is yours.

[Image: Typical Half Patrol - vehicles, various makes]

I have been playing table top wargames and making models for  well over  forty years. I have always enjoyed making the models, playing the games, writing rules and reading the history in equal measure. Playing solo games has always been part of the hobby for me even when being a member of a club. A few years ago I started reading quite a lot about the North African campaign in WW2 and kept hearing about this unit called The Long Range Desert Group. That is when I started reading specifically about them and their fantastic escapades hundreds of miles behind enemy lines. My mind immediately started to come up with ideas for games and models to recreate the missions they undertook. Finding a set of rules which attempted to capture the essence of this unit proved to be more difficult. Yes there are any number of sets of rules which could be used or adapted for the games but for me they just didn’t “feel right”. That was three or four years ago in around 2017.

[Image: Convoy Shoot up]

After gaming and play testing the rules I was developing for over a year my colleagues encouraged me to publish them. Eventually after many alterations and going through the design stage to get them looking how I wanted, here they are. I hope you like them and enjoy modelling and gaming with them. I also hope that they encourage you the gamers to read more about this fascinating unit, the LRDG.

12 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, where can I buy the rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, just realised you'd put that in your oiginal post haha! thankyou :)

      Delete
  2. No wonder you missed it! I've put them is as hyperlinks now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rules will be up on our web site this week! (SHQ Miniatures)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the opportunity to test the game e few times. Can truly say it's a great fun for 1 and a half-2 hours. Not only the raid but the retreat after it is an excitement made by the cards. For me the biggest fun was when managed to inflict "heavy damage" to the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really pleased you enjoyed the game! Heavy damage is always good as long as it is not on the LRDG!

      Delete
  5. Had a splendid try out on Friday with SHQ Ian, did not completely finish as it was our first game and we had to look stuff up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Nick. Really pleased you enjoyed the game. The rules are easy to learn so after a couple of games the quick play sheet should be just about all you need. Let me know how you get on with them and any pics of games are welcome. All best Brendan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. IT's CALIVER BOOKS Save- trying to contact you for more stuff but no reply

    ReplyDelete